Tuesday 6 December 2011

The Underground

Student Talk: what's the worst gift you've been given?


     I was in middle school when my friend asked me what I wanted for Christmas. I told her Christina Aguilera’s album My Kind of Christmas would suffice. Yet she ended up buying me a dust-collector: a stuffed snowman with a weight in its feet so it stood on its own. I told her that I liked it. So while it is the thought that counts, sometimes the gifts themselves just aren’t very thoughtful.
5. The joke
     While she did not receive a bizarre gift herself, Carly Carroll, a 22-year-old worker at Cineplex Odeon, was the giver of an odd present. She once gave both her sister and mother coal for the holiday season. “It wasn’t even because they were ‘bad’, I just thought it was funny,” she said.
4. The undesirable
     Aracely Reyes, a fourth-year drama and English major at UTSC, received a huge package from her aunt for Christmas one year. “It was deceptive because I thought it was a large cream kit or travel bag,” said Reyes. But it turned out to be a tray for baking cookies. “[This was] something I didn’t need. It was disappointing.”
3. The childhood nostalgia
     Nicole Rollon, a second-year English major at UTSC, was in grade 10 when her father gave her a Barbie doll. “I said thanks, but I ended up donating it,” she shared. Parents and grandparents, who still baby their children, are stuck in the past. But while nostalgia is all the rage during holiday season, remember to be age-appropriate while gifting.
2. The impulse buy
     Georgia Williams, a third-year journalism student at UTSC, once received Elmo bubble-bath from her mother. “I was 16 and I got a bunch of stuff for a six year-old,” said Williams. “All I wanted at the time was music and clothes. [My mother] said when she was shopping she thought these things were cute.” Even though the clearance section might look like a good bet when you’re running low on time, remember, you’re not buying for yourself but for someone else.
1. The disappointment
     Albert Milaim, a student at the University of Ontario Institute of Technology, enjoys playing video games, yet it was the same year that the new Xbox 360 came out that he received his worst holiday present from his grandparents. “After ripping off the packaging [I found] the ugliest sweater that I have ever seen,” said Miliam. “It was dark orange, way too big for me and the material was extremely coarse and scratchy…To this day I have never worn the sweater, but I’m unwilling to throw it
out.”
     So just take an extra second this holiday season and ponder on your choices. After all, who wants a lump of coal under their tree?

No comments:

Post a Comment